Discovered in the second century A. D, Valerian root has become one of the most opted herbal supplements from people, who prefer herbal products over synthetically prepared ones. From the time it is discovered, it has become the first preferred medicine for treating restlessness, insomnia, anxiety, etc. It was in 1800s that it became actually popular as the herbal medical supplement, by the European medical professionals.
Valerian Root for Sleep
The suggested dosage of this supplement is around 1 to 2 hours before the time you go to bed. For getting rid of the anxiety and restless-leg syndrome, experts suggest continuing the dosage around 3 times a day and for about 2 to 6 weeks. However, never exceed the dosage time and duration.
Valerian Extract and its Side Effects
Since the time this supplement has been discovered, it has become the excellent way of treating many disorders such as sleeping sickness, illness, weaknesses in the muscular layers, etc. Just the way you feel one or two side effects from other herbal supplements, there are some side effects from this product too.
If you follow the prescribed dosage, then there is nothing to worry about. However, there is some group of people who should strongly stay away from this supplement. They are,
- Breastfeeding women or even the ones who are expecting
- People with history regarding intolerance towards herbal supplements.
- Special cases where people get to experience the opposite effect from the promised results such as feeling anxious, fail to stay calmer, constant restlessness, etc.
Consumption of Valerian roots for longer years might often result with dependency on the supplement. Hence, experts suggest never exceeding the time period as suggested by the physicians.
How to Use Valerian Roots
Since it is a sedative, experts suggest following some precautionary measures before using it. Some are listed below.
- Avoid driving if you have taken the day’s dosage
- Stay away from this drug when you are in charge of handling heavy machinery
- Without the consent of your physician, don’t continue the drug for more than a month.
- Stop using it if you wish to stay awake and alert for longer hours.
Valerian root has the capacity to elevate the effect of some supplements in your body and are listed below.
- Anticonvulsants such as Depakote and Dilantin
- Tricyclic antidepressants including Elavil
- Benzodiazepines such as Valium and Xanax
- Sleeping pills such as Rozerem, Ambien, Sonata, Lunesta, etc.
When consumed with chamomile, lemon balm, or catnip, you will experience more enhanced effects.